Sunday 14 March 2010

Fly with me...

Come fly with me just like Peter Pan! This magical statue is to be found in a leafy glad next to a lake in Kensington Gardens. It was so delightful just as the story of it's creation is - "J.M Barrie published his first story about Peter Pan in 1902 in The Little White Bird. It was inspired by his relationship with the Llewelyn Davies family that began in Kensington Gardens. In the story, Peter Pan flies out of his nursery and lands beside the Long Water - on the spot where the statue stands.

Barrie began thinking about a Peter Pan statue in 1906, six years later, in 1912, Barrie paid Sir George Frampton to create the statue and on May 1 st that year it appeared, as if by magic.

There was no pre-publicity or formal unveiling. The statue was erected secretly during the night and Barrie simply placed this announcement in The Times:

"There is a surprise in store for the children who go to Kensington Gardens to feed the ducks in the Serpentine this morning. Down by the little bay on the south-western side of the tail of the Serpentine they will find a May-day gift by Mr J.M. Barrie, a figure of Peter Pan blowing his pipe on the stump of a tree, with fairies and mice and squirrels all around. It is the work of Sir George Frampton, and the bronze figure of the boy who would never grow up is delightfully conceived."

Can't you just imagine the delight as little children discovered it on that day. Many just look at the front but I walked all round it and there were beautifully created little creatures all around, squirrels and fairies and little mice and oh those bunnies! Lots of inspiration for my illustrations!




Next to share with you are photos of the beautiful Liberty shop in London, as well as a truly breathtaking woodland themed baby shower which I was privileged to be a part of through my invitations which I custom made from one of my Prints. So lots to share! Catherine x

7 comments:

Monica said...

So very beautiful! Love that place.
I'm looking forward to seeing the baby shower pictures and Liberty! Hope you didn't come home empty-handed ;)))
Monicaxo.

Beedeebabee said...

This is so amazing! Those little mice and bunnies are just too cute! Thanks so much for sharing the great story behind this wonderful statue! Enjoy the rest of your Sunday! xo's Paulette

Georgianna said...

London parks are marvelous for make believe and this is truly one of the most magical park sculptures in the world – thank you so much for sharing the story of it, which I wasn't familiar with. Can't wait to see photos of Liberty – I love that store, inside and out. And the woodland baby shower sounds fabulous, too! Have a wonderful week, Catherine! xo – g

Tracy said...

That is one of the sweetest landmarks in London! I love to go to Hyde Park and see it--it is such a happy, magical sculpture! Can't wait to go to Liberty... Ooo...these posts are making me itch to go to London, Catherine--LOL! ;o) Will look forward to more, and this baby showers--sounds fun! Happy Day ((HUGS))

B.T.Bear (esq.) said...

I luv all the littol anmols on this!

Wendster said...

I love this statue!!!

Sarah Medina said...

Oh goodness Cath, I just adore this statue, and you know, I was looking at the first photo wishing I could see all the detail on the base of the statue, and of course you have more photos below :) you are a gem!!! Thank you so much for your amazing photos! Travelling in my own armchair :) XX